Nov 2, 2008

Chocolate Torte


We recently had a couple of friends over for dinner. For dessert, I made a chocolate cake in a 9"x13" pan using an organic cake mix from Whole Foods. To my chagrin, the cake didn't rise. (I'm not sure why; maybe organic cakes aren't supposed to. Next time I'll stick with Duncan Hines.) So I cut the cake into thirds and stacked the pieces to make a triple layer tort. I made frosting from 1/3 cup butter, powdered sugar, a little milk, and a melted Ghirardelli 60% cocoa bar. My presentation distracted from the leavening failure, and our guests were very impressed.

Greg's artistic photograph of dessert, complete with cow pepper shaker

1 comment:

Puzzles to Print said...

Ah, I very much like that. If you've got lemons, make lemonade as one has been told. Here's my Chocolate Charlotte Recipe that doesn't have to rise at all. Does have to sit in the fridge overnight though.